Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Simple yet Truly Kind Gesture

This morning I was eating breakfast alone at my favorite breakfast establishment, Friendly's. I love them because they are always nice, but mostly because you can substitute home fries for meat, and garden vegetables for toast. Yummy and almost downright healthy if you don't count the deep-frying!

So there I was, one of only three customers in the place. My waiter, a cute 20-30ish boy with tattoos and a nice smile who I had seen in there before (and maybe I did think for a moment about getting a closer look at those tattoos), was pleasant but we didn't chit chat or anything like that. I tend to be on the shy side, which many people don't believe, but it's true.

I had no book to read because I'd inadvertently left it at the VA. (Apparently when I picked up my antiobiotic for possible Lyme's Disease...which I may or may not have gotten from the deer tick I found embedded in my head a week and a half ago, totally creeping me out...but as always when this happens, I figure God took it because someone else needed it more than me...the book, not the tick...so I just let it go.) Bottom line, I was done and kinda aimlessly sitting there waiting for the check cause I had nothing better to do.

The cute waiter comes over and tells me there's not going to be a check today. Now, this has never happened to me before and I'm thrown for a loop, so I say, 'what do you mean?' He says 'I'm getting it, you're not paying today'. Now even more confused, I say, 'why?'

And that's when he says the words that just may have changed my life, but I don't know how yet.

He says, 'I know who you are, and I know what you do.'

Wow. I'm not sure I've ever been so touched.

A simple gesture of kindness when least expected can truly change your world.

Thank you, cute tattoo waiter. Truly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic.Isn't it amazing how such a simple act of kindness can stay with you forever?That is how I feel knowing what you do for animals.Your name and what you do will stay with me forever.You are an inspiration.