Saturday, January 24, 2009

Investigation into CT State Law Against Chaining Dogs for Life

I'm doing a TV interview here in Connecticut on Sunday about the chaining of dogs for life, in which case I decided to investigate how chaining is being addressed in Connecticut...in case you don't know it, there is a chaining law in CT which states that dogs cannot be chained for 'an unreasonable amount of time.' Granted, that's not the best law, it's very vague, but it certainly implies that dogs cannot be chained 24/7, right? Check out what occurred in only 1 hour of being in the state:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdzIvpAP0H0

I had already found the AC phone number this morning, and had it ready to call when I found this chow who I had received complaints about, only to discover at 3:43 p.m. I was already too late to actually get to speak to a Middletown, CT Animal Control officer! I then transferred myself to a policeman, who had no idea what the state law was, and found it much more prudent to argue with me about the fact that although I called at 3:43 my time, probably her time it was actually 3:45 p.m. and it was already 3:44 p.m. his time, which means that the AC was totally justified in closing up shop a few minutes early due to time differences...

He did say that the cops would 'go by there a few times tonight' looking for infractions of state law, and would inform the animal control officer of their findings. I asked him if the police would inform me of their findings if I left my number, but he told me that no, they indeed would not, and if I wanted any help to contact the AC again. I insisted he transfer me to the AC, where I left the following message:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m96yW-M93L4

I have not had a chance to edit yet or add photos and make a 'real' video of this, but check out these two videos of a dog chained in Middletown, CT on Friday, January 23, 2009.

No comments: