Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Day 3, Operation Fido's Freedom: Well, Now I've Gone and Done It

I swore I wouldn't keep talking to you about pee. I mean, who the heck wants to know about something like that? But darned if I didn't go and get a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) from Monday's bright idea of not drinking or going potty all day. (I know, I can hear you all I-told-you-so'in in the background.)

I told Joe, my beau, that I suspected a UTI, and he asked me when I proposed to go to the doctor. I said, innocently, "Saturday?"

I can't miss 'work' tomorrow! I just got there this week, what would the neighbors think if I didn't show up to work my corner of the Capitol?

He wasn't overly fond of that idea, so after a little internet research, I decided it would be best to seek out a local VA. I depend on them for my healthcare, and I refuse to say a bad word about them because I'm grateful to have a place to get treatment without paying my next three month's salary!

So I called a nurse on duty, and she told me I needed to seek treatment within the next 12 hours. Damn. This didn't fit really well with my plan of working until 11, blogging about the day and trying to catch up on the e-mails that are laying around. But, I realized that going now before it got too bad just might save me a world of hurtin' come this weekend. And I can't be sick this weekend!

I have eaten' to do! And boyfriending! I can't be lollygagging around at some hospital where I might not even get food, and I only get to eat from Friday at 6:00 through Sunday night!

So, reluctantly, off I went to the Lebanon VA Medical Center, which was about 40 minutes away. It was actually VA record time (I swore I wouldn't complain) and I was out of there and back at my hotel by 10:15. The diagnosis was UTI, but the culture won't be back for two days, at which time I'll find out if they gave me the right medicine.

Seems that I ended up like Aldus (the dog in Day One's blog) after all. Peeing blood and in need of immediate vet care. (Get it, vet…he needed a vet, I'm a veteran…it was a play on words. Oh, never mind.)

Let this be a lesson to all of you. Next time you chain yourself to a doghouse and think you can emulate the dogs by going all day without drinking and get away with it, think again.

Some items of note from Wednesday's chaining:

1. Wheatgrass rocks! I never had it before, but Steve from Juicy Rumors gave me a shot of it. I was taking little sips and he said you usually just slam it down. I told him, "Yeah, but I'm not eating, so I have to savor every flavor, even if it's grass."

2. Did three interviews today, one with Altoona news station over the phone, and two with radio stations.

3. The heat index hit over 100 today. When I got in my van, it said 95 in the shade. It was a hell of a day. I was pretty much just covered in sweat all day. At about 3 o'clock the State Street Building across the street blocks out the sun. I really look forward to that time.

4. I got as smart as a chained dog and when the shadow was about to hit my area, I drug my chain over and got in early. I've seen chained dogs seek out the tiniest bit of shade and try to stay in it. Pitiful, really.

5. I think I left all the salt in my body on the Capitol steps. I wonder if they'll make me come clean it up.

6. Had a fair amount of company today, starting with Morgan, Steve from Juicy Rumors' 14 year old daughter, who loves to come over and be an activist if she agrees with whatever is being activated at the Capitol. She's adorable, and reading the Warriors book series, which is what my daughter and I read too. She couldn't wait to take my place on the chain for the potty break!

Barb Hacker was telling me that she got a dog off a chain not too long ago. She had watched this dog for a couple of years, and it really ate away at her. She found out the lady was moving, so she got her phone number and asked her if she could have the dog. Now she lives with them, getting to run in a two acre fenced yard, play with her doggie siblings, and sleep in the house with her pack. Sweet!

7. Got the nicest text from my older brother! My family isn't that close, so this text really touched me: "Hey, Tam, I saw your newsletter and Vince also sent me an article about you chaining yourself in front of the State Capitol. I want you to know how proud I am of you, how touched I am by what you're doing, and at the same time angry at the gutless politicians who are afraid of losing just a few votes rather than doing the right thing. I love you, Sis, and I think you are an amazing lady!" Wow! (OK, maybe it wasn't nice for the politicians, but for me, it was amazing.)

8. Now, call me crazy, but I really think if you fast for three days you should lose like 30 lbs. I'm pretty sure I suffered at least 30 lbs. worth! And I've got plenty of cushion…the poor chained dogs? Not so much. Three days is probably in some cases enough to do them in if they haven't gotten regular food and had some weight on them before that. Definitely, in 90 degree heat, without water and shade, they are dead meat, and quick.

9. When I got there this morning, there was a reporter in my 'territory' and not there to interview me. I must have forgotten to mark it last night. Luckily one of my foster dogs that I got off a chain four years ago came to visit me, and I encouraged him to mark the territory for tomorrow. Hopefully no one will encroach again, or I'll have to bite them.

Oh, crap, I DO have to go back again?

Dogs Deserve SO much Better!

No comments: