Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Cats living in a dumpster in Hagerstown, MD

Well, we were on our way home last night from the Taking Action for Animals conference in D.C. It was quite costly to stay there, plus $22 a day for parking! But the conference went pretty well, we did a booth there and I got to show some of my artwork, too. Dawn from FARM bought two small pieces of art, cool!

The food, I must say, left a lot to be desired. I think that will be fixed for next year, because I imagine EVERYONE was complaining about it! The girl next to me, Quinn, at the Pangea booth made money hand over fist because there was virtuallly no other food to be had most of the time. I heard one girl ask her if she took credit cards. Quinn said, yes, we do, and the girl said, "Thank God, because this is the worst vegan food I've had in the ten years since I became a vegan!" And I think she was right. I of course, managed to find something to eat most of the time.

I have a lot of soy issues...and I think many vegetarians/vegans do, but they refuse to put two and two together. So far only Cheryl Hill and I, that I know of, realize that it's soy causing so many of the problems. Many vegetarians have bad thyroid conditions, and it's my belief based on research and the way I feel when eating it and when not eating it, that it's from the soy. At one point in time, I was drinking these 'fabulous soy shakes', touted of course for their health-giving abilities. Meanwhile, I felt worse and worse and my thyroid went from bad to worse. When I stopped eating and drinking soy for the most part, my thyroid level went from 11.64 back down to 6.75 at last check. Normal is 5.5 and below...so I'm not quite normal, but refuse to take meds, so there you have it.

Sunday I ate a lot of soy because that's pretty much all that was offered...and in the middle of the night that night I was awake much of the time because I felt so awful...Monday I barely had any, and by today I felt much better.

I did dump dairy two weeks ago, yay! Mostly as a result of Marilu Henners program, in which she calls it Bovine Slime, I finally feel able to dump it for good. I noticed also at the conference many of the people who were chubby, when I heard them say it, were actually vegetarians and not vegans. To me this attributes a lot of the problems with overweight to dairy and the junk food one is able to eat if eating dairy...milk chocolate, cakes, cookies, etc., etc., etc...so overall I think I will be much healthier, and hopefully slimmer and more svelte too! Most of the vegans I saw there looked very good. Vegans are the most thin people you will find in America as a group, I can bet on that.

Anyway, so we're on our way home and we stop in Hagerstown for gas. There were cats living outside a dumpster at the gas station, and we tried for 1/2 hour to catch these kittens and a pregnant female, but we were not able to catch them. I'm currently looking for rescue help for these poor things...the female is VERY pregnant and is a tortie. The kittens are from 3-4 months old, five of them, 3 black ones and 2 striped grey ones. There was also a male maine coon and another black and white cat. I'm about two hours from there, so have sent this around looking for help for them!

Meanwhile, we're out there with lunchmeat trying to catch them...and this young 'gentleman' comes out from the store to the dumpster. I told him that the female was very pregnant, and did they have an spca around there. He said yes, but it wasn't his problem. Of course, that led to an argument, and he said he hated cats...all the more reason for someone local to there to step up and help these poor things before it's too late!

America needs to get more active in helping...when you see a problem, don't just think it's someone else's problem...Get in there and help yourself or find someone who can! Animals, the young, and the old especially need us to take care of them. And I'm pretty sure you get some good kudos in heaven too once you get there, added incentive...

No comments: