Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Career vs. Family

Last night I make my first-ever PAID speech, at Indiana University of Pennsylvania in PA. How exciting! And I did quite well, considering that in the past public speaking was my greatest fear in all the world, me and about 700 million other people. I even was able to ad-lib a bit, although then I had a struggle to get back into line with my notes.

I think I've joined the ranks of those who, if not out and out thrilled by it, are finding their way to acceptance, and am now looking at ways to better myself in this arena. Most of the speaking engagements I've done to this point have been free, just as a way to get our message out. It's such a great feeling to finally be paid for it! And, part of the money was for me as an artist, which was neat too, a double blessing.

I signed up for a seminar this weekend in Philly by Nathan Winograd of No-Kill Solutions. I've long been a fan of his amazing work, and was looking forward to meeting him in person. But herein lies the rub...Rayne's first Little League game of the year is Saturday, plus it's my weekend to have the kids. So I'm faced with the eternal parental struggle...to put more time into my career, or more time into my family.

It's very important to Rayne that I come to his games, he's made that abundantly clear. I usually do make all of them unless I'm scheduled to speak or something for DDB. I'm sure I'll be missing a few for those reasons in May, and since I was just going as a participant to the No-Kill seminar, I guess you can see who wins out this time. Rayne. And he's worth it. He's the best kid I could ever ask for!

No comments: