Sunday, April 23, 2006

Gettysburg and Rottweilers

Rayne, my 12 year old son, and I went to Gettysburg this weekend. Our Gettysburg rep went to a seminar, and was kind enough to lend us her place to crash Thursday and Friday nights. We had a great time, except for something that Rayne will kill me if I mention....which led to a fair amount of arguing.

We did the double decker battlefield tour, and lasted about 2/3 of the way on the top of the bus, before we decided freezing our buns off wasn't our idea of a good time. It rained all day Saturday and now today, so we were lucky to get it done on Friday. I definitely liked the electric map overview of the war, gave me some idea what exactly happened and where. I also bought the movie Gettysburg while I was there, and plan to watch it soon now that I'm more familiar with the whole thing.

On the way home I met someone to pick up a rottie that had lived a chained life in PA. He had the evidence of an embedded collar, and was so skinny I didn't even recognize he was a rottie at first, until I saw his massive head. Luckily, Adio had gone home with his new parents from Rhode Island Saturday morning, and that allowed me to bring the new guy in with less stress overall. He's doing great with the other dogs, he's pretty submissive for a big boy, and OK with the cats...a bit too interested, but I don't think it's anything I can't handle.

This morning he did something I've never seen before. I bathed him, as he stunk to high heaven. After he was all done and I'd cleaned up the bathroom, he came back up and jumped back IN the bathtub! That was a first...normally they never want to step foot in that bathroom again, the scene of their ultimate horror...the cleansing ritual.

No comments: